Plaza de Bibataubín
In the ancient Nasrid wall which protected the medina there once stood the Bab-al-Tawwin, Gate of the Bricklayers, it is at this spot that the Palacio de Bibataubín now stands.
The palace had two defensive towers on both sides in the form of a small castle which, after the Christian conquest, was put under the jurisdiction of the Alhambra, in the 16th century it was extended and fortified. In 1606, the Chapter of the city destroyed one of its towers to open a street, and in the first third of the 18th century the castle was demolished for health and safety reasons, as it had become the refuge of criminals and its moat emitted foul odours. Years later, a barracks was planned to be built on the castle's remains, under the auspices of Luis Arévalo. Wreathed columns elaborated in marble from Sierra Elvira were erected both on the gateway and balcony of its Baroque facade, intended for the iglesia de Sagrario. The design was finished off with a low pediment which featured a statue of Carlos III with lions at his side and vaulted niches sheltering cattle.
In 1933, the Regional Government moved into the building, modifying the facade and substituting the figures of the king and military men for a clock and two vessels, the removal of the look-out posts transforms its previously military aspect. The interior was also transformed, a large courtyard and majestic stairway being the new additions. After the Civil War it was once more refurbished, the courtyard was made even more spacious leaving its columns free-standing, these were then covered with a gaudily coloured glass roof. In recent times, the only Arab tower remaining has been restored in the palace's interior.
Lunes 10 julio 22.00h Música en palacioJuan Pérez Floristán, piano