Imprimir

Calle Mariana Pineda

Having been used for many varied purposes in its six centuries, it still hosts shows and performances as well as being the Festival’s headquarters.

In the historic heart of Granada, on what once was the left bank of the river Darro which now runs under Reyes Católicos Street and opposite the Alcaicería, stands this unique building with its equally unusual name: the Corral or Casa del Carbón which was originally known as Alhóndiga Yidida.
As well as being a depot for goods, it was also an inn for tradesmen and merchants in the Nasrid Granada of the 14th century; it was already known to be in existence in 1336 as a real «fondaks» (inn). It had many uses after the Christian Reconquest and, already in 1531, was known as Corral del Carbón (coal). It would appear to have been the lodgings of choice for coal merchants who brought their goods there to be weighed and sold. In the 16th century it was also used as a theatre, and in the 17th century it was a communal dwelling which was largely destroyed. It was purchased by the government in 1933 when it was restored by the architect Torres Balbás and is now a feature of the city.
It consists of one volume or large entrance, with a monumental engrailed, brick, horseshoe arch with fine plasterwork on the spandrels. The following inscription is written in Cufic characters on the horizontal plane of the alfiz: «God is one, God is alone; he has not engendered nor was he engendered nor does He have a companion». Above the lintel there is a richly decorated second volume. The interior comprises a large, square courtyard surrounded by three levels of galleries with brick pillars and wooden lintels. The floor has cobble-stones and in the centre there is a square, stone fountain with two side water-pipes.
Nowadays the building includes, among others, the offices and the ticket-office of the International Festival of Music and Dance of Granada and its current appearance is still a place with a traditional feel for shows and performances.

Programación